Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Troy Ngo - Getting Fit with Tennis OC in the California Sun

Troy Ngo, a resident of sunny California, has played in the OC League since July, 2009.
Like many of us, Troy learned about TennisOC from a friend playing in the program.He started playing tennis just 6 years ago. Troy today is a 3.25 to 3.5 player who is on the courts two to three times a week.

“I liked tennis when I was a kid,” says Troy, “but I never had the chance to play. As I got older, I knew it was time to get some exercise.

So I thought about tennis. Then I started to learn and to play tennis. Best of all, it is great for fitness.”
 
What Troy appreciates most about TLN is the flexibility in scheduling matches and the opportunity to play matches with different players. Apparently, some of those matches have been quite memorable—good and bad.

“Yes, one of the matches lasted for about 2 1/2 hours. I won that one. Another match was getting tough. After we had one set each, my opponent argued for any balls I called out. The most unusual was the match in which my opponent just walked around and relaxed for about 2 minutes after 3-3 in the third set. And then, after leading 5-3, he just walked to the water fountain, which was two courts away, and then came back to play as if nothing had happened. I lost this match.”

Any league rivalries? "Yes. Phil Rabalais is one of them; we have taken turns defeating each other for over a year."


Troy has had many positive experiences in Tennis OC. He explains:

“I have been able to find players and to make new friends through Tennis OC. Ron Baker and Kenny Nguyen are my hitting partners. Any time I call them, they are there for me. Playing with the OC league, I have improved my game a lot and I am now playing better. I would recommend the league to anybody.”

Troy’s family is a bit of a tennis family. “ My wife plays a little tennis, but my son, who is 13, has been playing tennis every week for 4 years now.” Who knows? When he’s old enough, maybe he’ll join his father in the OC league.


No comments: