Monday, September 19, 2016

Parrish Sligh: Making Great Friends through Tennis


Parrish Sligh  thanks for joining us. We want to share your thoughts and experiences playing in TennisNewYork.com, the New York City Tennis League.

Parrish has been playing with us since 2013 and has played 159 matches over the past 3 years. Parrish's Profile.
 
Firstly, how long have you been playing tennis? What got you started and what has kept you going?
I started playing tennis on the grass courts in Sylacauga, Alabama as a teenager. My Park and Recreational Director happened to live in my neighborhood growing up. One day he was chalking off a tennis court on the grass, put up a net and starting teaching his daughter how to play tennis. So one day I asked him if he could teach me how to play tennis. He said yes. The bounces on grass are very unpredictable.  I played sparingly until age 45 when I found out about Tennis New York online. I love the game of tennis and the competition that goes with it. I love the fact when I play better players I can evaluate my game and improve my strengths and work on my weaknesses. I'm working on strengthening my serve right now. I exercise at the gym, play handball and basketball as well.

Which league are you a member of and how long have you been participating in it? Also, how did you end up finding out about us?
It was difficult to find partners to play with. I am a member of Brooklyn-Queens Competitive Division.  I participate in both the ladder and the league. It allows to be get the most out of Tennis NY. Tennis NY offers an inclusive way of playing different people.  I was looking for more consistent opportunities to play. I like to play 2-3 times a week.  I also like to play a lot of matches each season.


Parrish, You are a peerless veteran, Who do  you consider your Tennis New York opponents/ rivals?
My toughest rivalries are with David Romero and Tom Frederickson.  They bring out the best in me.

What do you like about the Tennis NewYork?
I've had many positive experiences in the league.  I've found life-long friends. Some of my best buds are Artie Wood and David Romero. I've made a connection with people who share my love of tennis. I love the competition and social aspects of meetups in which we participate in round robins. We get to compete and catch up with each other socially. I loved qualifying at the last meetup for the Summer league playoffs in front of my Tennis NY friends. Tennis NY allows me to play tennis on a regular basis, as often as I like. There is nothing like competing in tennis when all your shots are clicking and you are competing to the best of your ability.


Tell us about your most memorable match(es).
My favorite match was against Peter Richter because he a good player and hard to defeat. I also enjoyed several 3 set matches against David Romero and Tom Frederickson.

Who are your favorite pro players? Why?
I am old school when it comes to pro players. I admire Arthur Ashe for his class, sportsmanship and his commitment to humanity. I also admire John Mc Enroe for his tenacity on the court. I am both an emotional and tenacious player.  My favorite current player in Novak Djokovic because of his style of play.  He has the ability to adapt to what's going on in the game.   I also strive to do that in my game.

No comments: