Thursday, November 9, 2017

Bimal Patel: We checked back in with Bimal after crossing 200 matches played.



We checked back in with Bimal Patel out of TennisSanJose.com. He's now played an amazing 200 matches in the program.  200, can you believe?   Back on Aug. 2016 we profiled his playing 100 matches: 

 Playing competitive tennis in the league gives me an extra good feeling of competition as opposed to having my exercise centered solely on fitness and conditioning. As I have gotten older, the fitness and conditioning aspect becomes more important in continuing to play tennis.  Playing in the league has let me experience, in a small way, 
what the professionals go through day in day out.  When I hit my goal of playing 200 matches in less than three years, I felt little like a professional tennis player myself.  

Which league are you a member of?





How long have you participated in your league?

3 years, played my first match on 27-SEP-2014



How often do you play?

2-3 times a week.



What do you like most about the league?

Flexibility in scheduling matches, convenient easy-to-use internet platform, meeting new friends.



Tell us about your most memorable match(es)

My recent matches with Ted Nguyen  - we played back to back long and close matches which lasted nearly 5 hours.  Neither of us knew we could have lasted so long and still play good quality tennis.  Though I lost both matches, we both agreed, we would remember this for a long, long time.
https://www.tennissanjose.com/info/head_to_head_info?loser_id=73258&winner_id=14167



Who are your favorite rivals in the league? Why?

I have many: Ted, Yogesh, Prasad, Arun, Deepak, Mark, Joe.. They all bring the best out of me.



Do you have any other interesting comments about your experiences with the league?

TennisSanJose.com has provided me with an an excellent platform to motivate and push myself to get better. I am a 56 years old, who took up regular tennis much later in life.  I've had two knee surgeries (ACL and MCL reconstruction
on my right knee), and have endured extended sickness which had left me weak and out of shape. I joined the league hoping to improve my fitness and endurance.  Initially, I could barely play one match without feeling gassed, but this only improved as I kept playing more and more. Playing 2-3 matches every week gets harder and harder as I grow old and have an extremely busy work and social schedule.  In order to keep playing tennis, I find myself working out on a regular basis, on a much more regular schedule than before I played the league. I've learnt to 'manage' my body (and mind) - thanks to competitive,  but friendly nature of the flex league. My fitness regimen now consists of:



  • - daily 1.5-2.0 mile brisk walks or 20-30 minute stationary bike ride 
  • - followed by 5-10 minute stretching (quadriceps, hamstrings, Achilles, shoulders, upper arms, and back stretches)
  • - Weight training 1 to 2 times a week, nothing major - just light to moderate weights to help major muscle groups
  • - decent diet, and ample sleep, specially the night before the tennis match, whenever possible

All of the above is nothing major, just normal fitness routines, I feel we should all incorporate in their lives
as we get older.  Thanks to participating in the tennis league, I feel more disciplined and honor my commitments to my opponents.  Due to league participation, I don't feel forced or compelled, on the contrary I find myself enjoying the whole process.



I hope my experience help others in their tennis, fitness, or self-improvement goals.  



How did you get started playing tennis?

Started hitting on the wall to get some exercise.



What level player are you? (NTRP rating)

3.5



What do you love about tennis?  

Tennis provides a complete mind and body workout.



Who are your favorite pro players? Why?

Rafael Nadal - plays every point as if it were a match point.  Gives it his all and remains humble after all his
achievements.



Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)? (Feel free to share any interesting details about your life.)

I work as a software engineer in Silicon Valley.  I grew up in India, besides tennis, I love outdoors - hiking, spending time with friends and family.

No comments: