Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Player Profile: Peter Severson - He enjoys how tennis encourages constant focus

We caught up with Peter Severson out of TennisDenver.com.  He's played an amazing 106+ matches since 2015.  Check out his profile here:  https://www.tennisdenver.com/63509/profile

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

I grew up in South Dakota, and I currently work as the director of a statewide advocacy organization. Colorado is a great home for me, as I also love to ski, bike, hike, and camp. In this pandemic age, I'm grateful to have the chance to play a sport in which social distancing is relatively easy. My other major hobby is music - I sing in several community choirs - and with singing paused for a while, I am leaning into my other pursuits.


Which league are you a member of?

Tennis Denver

How long have you participated in your league?

I've been playing in the league since 2015.

How did you first learn about it?

Honestly, I just did a Google search for "tennis leagues in Denver." I found the site, read some testimonials, and saw that it's part of a national network. That was good enough for me, and I've been playing ever since.

How often do you play?

During the season, I can usually get in about 1 or 2 matches per week.

What do you like most about the league?

I've always liked being able to schedule matches at my own leisure. Also, I've met & played against a lot of different guys over the years, and almost uniformly I meet quality, good-natured guys who are in it for the love of the game. I appreciate playing matches that are competitive but friendly.

Tell us about your most memorable match(es)

Well, one time I was warming up with an opponent and some guy with a camera walked over to us to inform us that he had reserved the courts to shoot a commercial for denim jeans. They had a whole coterie of models ready to go. My opponent and I waited 30 minutes and watched the shoot since all the other courts were occupied. Why they needed a tennis court for this, I still have no idea. I think I ended up winning that match, too.

How did you get started playing tennis?

I started playing when I was maybe 11 or 12 years old. My parents gifted me a set of 10 tennis lessons at a local club for Christmas one year, and even though I never got super good at the actual game, I've always loved playing.

Do you play to compete, or for fun?

Always for fun.

What level player are you? (NTRP rating)

3.25

What do you love about tennis?  

In my current stage of life, I appreciate a couple of things about tennis: one, it encourages constant focus on the next best step you can take. The last point is over, and while you can't change it, you can learn from it. Your best strategy is always to focus forward. Two, it has actually taught me a lot about how to lose well. I've lost way more league matches than I've won, so I should know!

Who are your favorite pro players? Why?

Pete Sampras was always my favorite as a kid. The fact that he's retired and not on social media at all is really inspiring: he's out there living his best life, hanging out with his family, doing what he wants to do. And he will always be an incredible champion! People forget about him sometimes since the Big Three emerged right after he retired.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

I grew up in South Dakota, and I currently work as the director of a statewide advocacy organization. Colorado is a great home for me, as I also love to ski, bike, hike, and camp. In this pandemic age, I'm grateful to have the chance to play a sport in which social distancing is relatively easy. My other major hobby is music - I sing in several community choirs - and with singing paused for a while, I am leaning into my other pursuits.

 

No comments: