Saturday, September 5, 2020

Player Profile - Fernando Vidaurreta - Wow 39 matches in just 3 months of play

We caught up with Fernando Vidaurreta playing out of ChiTownTennis.comHe's currently in first place for Player of the Year and has amassed 39 results in only 3 months. Yes, you read that correct.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

I was born in Spain and grew up in Sweden. My father's job brought us to Florida when I started High School. I have lived in Pennsylvania; New York and Puerto Rico too. Chicago is home now. I love this city! I currently work Managing Implementations for a global enterprise application software company. When I am not working or playing tennis, I like going out on bike rides, long walks with my furry friend Roger (yes, I named him after Roger Federer) and always looking for new recipes to cook - yes, I like cooking things from scratch. Overall, I enjoy living a healthy balanced life.

How long have you participated in your league?

I'm a freshman to this league. I joined earlier this year and started playing in June. 

How did you first learn about it?

One of my tennis buddies I usually play with has been asking me to join the league for a while now. And, with the USTA flex league being affected by CoVid, I finally accepted the challenge and joined.  

How often do you play?

Honestly, I ALWAYS want to play. As long as the weather allows and my body holds up, I would play every day - even twice a day if I can.

What do you like most about the league?

Its flexibility! I enjoy being able to set and accept matches at my own time. Also, the variety of players and the responsiveness of people in the network. The fact that it's part of a Nationwide network and that i can test myself to qualify for a national tournament is BIG.

Tell us about your most memorable match(es)

Wow. Tough question. But there is one that recently comes to mind; I am not a fan of late evening matches. Working full time and also squeezing a workout during the day every now and then drain me. So, if i have to play at night, chances are my energy levels and focus will be very low. Anyways, i not long ago accepted to play a night match in the suburbs of Chicago - which I had to drive in traffic for 90 minutes to make it there. Long story short, my match started close to 8pm and I lost the first set 3-6. In the second set I was down 2-5 - I was ready to let go and go home. But I remember telling to myself: "YOU DID NOT COME ALL THE WAY HERE TO LOSE!!" So, I had to dig deep. I saved 2 match points, managed to win that second set and an hour later. Coming into the third set, I ran out of water and was hungry, since I did not have time to eat dinner before I left home. I won the third set 6-3. 

I can proudly say that, that match, pretty much sums up how I take a stab at tennis and life as a whole. "I always give it ALL in everything I do".

Who are your favorite rivals in the league? 

I don't have rivals. Only good match ups! Why? We are here to have fun, meet people and enjoy this amazing sport.

How did you get started playing tennis?

Growing up I tried playing pretty much every sport. Tennis happened to be the one I am not too bad at and found joy playing. 

Do you play to compete, or for fun?

Both! I have a lot of fun playing. But I am very harsh on myself when at it.

What do you love about tennis?  

What I bring to every match is what the result ends up being. And to me, as much as I like working and collaborating in teams, coming out from a tennis match and winning it or losing it on my own is BIG. 

Who are your favorite pro players?

So many. Federer for sure very high up on my list. But I am a big fan of Gael Monfils and the now retired David Ferrer. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

I was born in Spain and grew up in Sweden. My father's job brought us to Florida when I started High School. I have lived in Pennsylvania; New York and Puerto Rico too. Chicago is home now. I love this city! I currently work Managing Implementations for a global enterprise application software company. When I am not working or playing tennis, I like going out on bike rides, long walks with my furry friend Roger (yes, I named him after Roger Federer) and always looking for new recipes to cook - yes, I like cooking things from scratch. Overall, I enjoy living a healthy balanced life.

No comments: