Thursday, May 4, 2023

Alex Lazar - Loves the flexibility of the format.

We caught up with Alex Lazar out of the Austin franchise and here's the tennis story we have from him. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

I am a therapist at a psych hospital here and work on the adolescent unit and absolutely love it. I love where I work, my co-workers and the work I do there. Being a therapist has been a goal of mine since I was in high school and feel utterly grateful to be able to do the work I do and working with the teens is my jam. 

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and moved around a lot after high school, Oregon, Boston, Salt Lake City, and now Austin for good

I love cooking, gardening and spending time with my brother who also lives in town and taking my dog to the dog park. 


Which league are you a member of?

Austin Tennis League

How long have you participated in your league?

This is my third season over the past two years

How did you first learn about it?

Found out about it just with a google search looking for a tennis league here

How often do you play?

I prefer to play at least twice a week but usually 2 or 3 matches a week. 

What do you like most about the league?

That I get to play with other people at my skill level and just able to easily get back into playing.

Tell us about your most memorable match(es).

My most memorable matches are usually ones where I lose the first set and then able to come back and win the next two sets.

Who are your favorite rivals in the league? Why?

I don't really have a rival in my league right now. 

Do you have any other interesting comments about your experiences with the league?

It’s really nice that people can be moved up or down in skill level groups, it's a goal of mine to move up eventually.

How did you get started playing tennis?

I started playing before high school because a lot of my friends then played and then played one year in high school. 

Do you play to compete, or for fun?

Both, always love winning but also just love playing regardless. 

What level player are you? (NTRP rating) 

I'm at 2.5

What do you love about tennis?  

There aren't a lot of barriers to play, all you need is a racket and balls. It makes it so that more people can play and theres a lot of free places to play here and the ones that require a reservation and cost money are only $4 per person.


No comments: