Bimal Patel has played an amazing 1,000+ matches with Tennis League Network. That's absolutely 1,000% amazing.
Which league are you a member of?TennisSanJose League (though I also moonlight in the
Peninsula Tennis League!).
How long have you participated in your league?
Over 11 years—I played my very league first match on
November 1st, 2014.
How did you first learn about it?
Just a good old Google search looking for local hit
partners and competition.
How often do you play?
Usually 2 to 3 times a week.
What do you like most about the league?
The incredible flexibility, meeting amazing people, the
built-in fitness, and the mutual commitment among players to show up and give
it their all.
Tell us about your most memorable match(es).
There are so many over 1,000 matches, but my 1,000th
match against Karthik ranks right at the top. It was a hot, humid day, but I
happened to play near-perfect tennis—zero double faults, a sky-high first-serve
percentage (I only had to hit three second serves the whole match!), and almost
zero unforced errors. It was one of those rare days where everything just
clicked.
Who are your favorite rivals in the league? Why?
There are too many to list, but a few special shout-outs:
·
Robert Thevenet: A tremendous athlete, a
loving father to his daughter, and always brings a great sense of humor.
·
Guru Nagarajan: Extremely fit and competes
fiercely every single point.
·
Lokesh Johri: High Tennis IQ; he always
makes me work hard for every point.
·
Andrew Rivera: Lightning fast, a fantastic
athlete, and we always have absolute battles.
·
Romi Dutta: Has boundless enthusiasm, is a
great friend, and turns every match into a fun social meeting.
Do you have any other interesting comments about your experiences with the league?
The diversity of people you meet is incredible. Where
else can you get recreationally paired up with a 1996 Olympian (from the
Ugandan Volleyball team) or an opponent who almost made the Indian National
Cricket team in the mid-90s? The league brings together fascinating people from
all walks of life.
How did you get started playing tennis?
I never had formal tennis coaching. Years ago, I bought a
$20 racket from Target and started hitting against a wall. Once I realized I
had decent hand-eye coordination, I kept at it because I fell in love with the
natural cardio workout the sport provides.
Do you play to compete, or for fun?
Both, but in a strict order: fun first, respect for my
opponents second, and competing hard third.
What level player are you? (NTRP rating)
I hover between 3.25 and 3.5, but I feel 3.25 is my true
rating home!
What do you love about tennis?
It’s a virtuous cycle: playing tennis gives me great
exercise, and I love exercising specifically so I can keep playing tennis!
Who are your favorite pro players? Why?
Rafa Nadal: Because he played every single point as
if it were match point, giving 100% effort no matter what.
Carlos Alcaraz: Because he plays with pure,
infectious joy that endears him to fans all over the world.
Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?
I grew up playing badminton in an industrial township in rural Western India and hadn't even picked up a tennis racket until I was 30. Professionally, I spent my career as a Software Technical Specialist, but my real tennis adventure took off after a major life pivot.
In late 2009, I was diagnosed with a serious health condition. While not life-threatening, the required treatments were exceptionally harsh and took a heavy toll on my body—I lost significant weight, strength, and energy. As I fought to recover, I stumbled upon the league. Every single match I played became a building block for my physical health, my mental resilience, and my game.
When I stepped onto the court for my 998th, 999th, and 1,000th matches last week, I felt like I had already won just by being out there. Everything else after that was gravy!
At 64 years old, competing in this league allows me to experience—in a tiny, miniscule way—what professional players feel during tight, high-stakes matches. I look forward to playing in the league as long as my body allows!
Besides tennis, I enjoy reading, travel, sports and good movies.


No comments:
Post a Comment