Monday, September 30, 2024

Mersid Turjacanin - Has gone from not playing to playing a whole bunch

We caught up with Mersid Turjacanin out of our JacksonvilleTennisLeague.com.  Here's his story.

Do you have any other interesting comments about your experiences with the league?

When I signed up for the league and started playing alot of my family and friends started playing as well and now we all play together. We went from no one playing, to having a group of about 10 friends and family that play.


Which league are you a member of?

Currently Competitive 2 Fall Jacksonville, Florida.

How long have you participated in your league?

I started in the summer league and now this is my 2nd - 3 months total.

How did you first learn about it?

I signed up in 2021 but due to injury retired. Now I am back and excited as ever to play Tennis.

How often do you play?

I try to play everyday, but sometimes the body needs rest. 3-4x a week minimum.

What do you like most about the league?

I love the flexibility of the league and how it brings people together. Builds new friendships.

Tell us about your most memorable match(es)

Most memorable match was my first match because it felt good to be back from injury and swing a racket without pain. Even though I lost, I loved being out there and enjoying the beautiful sport.

Who are your favorite rivals in the league? Why?

Ricardo Santos seems to be my best rival at the moment. We are 1-1 against each other and we always have a close marathon match.

How did you get started playing tennis?

I was always a tennis fanatic. Never played but always watched. My brother in law who started trash talking that he could beat me encouraged me to start, and I love it. Also, following Federer my whole life I always wanted to be out there and try it out.

Do you play to compete, or for fun?

I am a competitor. Competition is what drives me. 

What level player are you? (NTRP rating)

3.25


Who are your favorite pro players? Why?

Roger Federer because the game he played was so beautiful. It was so effortless and majestic looking. He was a true champion and a true professional. He always had the best behavior and never had any controversy.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)? (Feel free to share any interesting details about your life.)

I am originally from Bosnia and moved to the Florida in 1999 when I was 7 years old. I went to school in Florida at UNF and got my graduate degree at FIU. Currently I am a financial investigator and I also referee soccer. I look forward to meeting new people and experiencing new challenges in future matches. Get out there and get swinging!

No comments: