Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Jana Upshaw - Loves her Charleston tennis community

We caught up with Jana Upshaw from Charleston Tennis League.  She's played an amazing 100 matches over the past 5 years. 

Do you have any other interesting comments about your experiences with the league?

It’s a great way to practice without the pressure of a team. No one except maybe the others in the league are looking at your scores


Which league are you a member of?

Charleston Tennis League

How long have you participated in your league?

5 -6 years.

What do you like most about the league?

I really appreciate the camaraderie - It’s like a community of singles players and we often band together for the UDTA singles league

Tell us about your most memorable match(es)-

Charleston is a lovely place to play with a  vibrant tennis community. I have special fondness for some of the match’s I have played by Colonial lake.

Who are your favorite rivals in the league? Why?

There is one friend who I play frequently at 7 am and it often goes to a third set tiebreaker - you know who you are.


How did you get started playing tennis?

My son was playing junior tennis- he pulled me in.

Do you play to compete, or for fun?

Both

What level player are you? (NTRP rating)

3.0

What do you love about tennis? 

I ran track in high school and college- With track there is a huge component of “you have it or you don’t.” Tennis is more complex with different shots and strategies. It’s like physical chess.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, for example: What do you do? Where did you grow up? What are your hobbies (besides tennis)?

As a sports medicine physician I do believe that tennis adds years to your life. It is mentally stimulating and it keeps you active. I am a big believer in “use it or lose it.” I get very excited and hopeful when I see the oldest generation on the court.

No comments: